Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The Lindau Gospels


***
As I think back on my educational journey, my walk with Christ, and the most life-giving communities that I have been a part of, I realize that I am a visual learner. The things that have stuck with me over the years, that have made an impact, were stories told through a series of images, or experiences tied to specific places that have been ingrained in my mind. One of the most meaningful visual memories in my faith walk would have to have been watching Passion of the Christ for the first time. At moments I didn't even care to read the English subtitles because the image was so profound and heart wrenching. The way Jesus looks at Peter after the rooster crows and the love in his eyes as he says his last words to his mother, Mary. That image stuck with me far more than when I read through the Gospels. When I am taking a class or hearing a sermon at church, I respond so much better when there is a live painting happening at the same time or an illustration of some sort.

It is mind boggling to me that in the mid-ninth century many people couldn't read, and so things like the Lindau Gospels gave them a way to connect with the stories within the book. People made profound connections with God through art created on slabs of stone, or pressed into sheets of gold. Inside the Lindau Gospels are the Gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John with other reflections and notes, all of which the artist is able to capture on the cover. Most don't usually think of a cover as the work of art itself, but rather the introduction. However, the Lindau Gospels are just that, a work of art that begins on the outside. The story within summarized and transformed by a beautifully sparkly depiction. Perhaps in this case it is appropriate to judge a book by its cover.

    Side Angle of Lindau Gospels

The Lindau Gospels are a Carolingian representation that follows the Triumphant Christ. This is a victorious Christ, not one that is weak or defeated; overcome by death and the weight of gravity. We see blood dripping from the hands, but otherwise Jesus is tall and proud... as if knowing that he had already conquered death and its power. You have figures below pushing him up, and the angels above reaching down for him. It almost gives this illusion of ascension, despite being bound to the cross.

    Frontal view of Lindau Gospels


The surface of this piece of art is very architectural, in fact it resembles the building plans of the basilica style churches that would be built later on. Its long nave and the transept resemble the old architecture. The Lindau Gospels, if seen from a side angle, also have arches all the way around the cross. Similar to the building plans of the Romanesque churches.


     Basilica Building Plans

Another interesting thing to notice is the many jewels that adorn the Lindau Gospels. If we look closely we can see emeralds, rubies, pearls, and lots of other brilliant things! Well, not only are they pretty, but they actually have a special reference to the depictions of the heavenly Jerusalem in the book of Revelation.

Revelation 21:19-21

The foundations of the wall of the city were adorned with every kind of jewel. The first was jasper, the second sapphire, the third agate, the fourth emerald, the fifth onyx, the sixth carnelian, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth chrysoprase, the eleventh jacinth, the twelfth amethyst. And the twelve gates were twelve pearls, each of the gates made of a single pearl, and the street of the city was pure gold, like transparent glass.

    Close up shot of Lindau Gospels

To be able to tell a story without words is pretty special, and the Lindau Gospels do just that. Both for the people who could not read back in the 9th century, and for us today. Researching this amazing work of art has encouragement me as an artist by reminding me that I too can tell the story of Christ with my art, and that I can praise him through that... without words.

Sources:
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindau_Gospels
- http://csis.pace.edu/grendel/WS5/JoanofArc/lindaugospel.html

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5vM4rtUSQg

***

2 comments:

  1. Really nice job with this post. I really like how you share your personal story and integrate that in what you learned about the Lindau Gospels. What wonderful images you got of the cover, and I hadn't heard before some of the insights you had found about the cover looking like church architecture, or reflecting the heavenly streets of gold. Very interesting stuff. I have always had a fondness for this cover, because of the risen and triumphant nature of the Christ image. It is really exceptional. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often forget that mass education was not as valued back then as it is now. I wonder how exactly these gospel covers were used to educate the masses? Were any specific biblical stories told in regards to them? Or were they more used as a means of connecting with the glory of God, despite the limited earthly adornments? On that note, I did a quick search and could not find a monetary value for the covers. Did you find one?

    I enjoyed the explanations of the different symbols used in the cover, and the connection between the design of the basilica churches.

    ReplyDelete